How to Make an Appointment
To request an appointment to start counseling services, call 203.426.8103. You will be asked basic demographic information including your name, address, phone number, insurance information, the reason for requesting services, and what your restrictions are for appointment times. Our Intake Coordinator works diligently to match the needs of each client with an appropriate counselor on staff, and will schedule an intake appointment when there is an appointment available.
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
Please bring your insurance card or proof of income if you will be applying for our sliding fee scale, and plan to arrive ten minutes prior to your appointment to complete intake paperwork. Our Intake Coordinator will meet with you (and your family, if applicable), review agency policies and conduct a thorough assessment that involves obtaining information about past history and current concerns, as well as your strengths and supports. Your follow-up appointment with your counselor will be scheduled, and any questions you have about our services will be answered.
Payment for Counseling
Newtown Youth & Family Services believes all community members have the right to access quality mental health care.
- We accept most major private insurance plans (including Anthem, Aetna, Cigna, Healthy CT, United Healthcare, Value Options and more). If you do not see your insurance company listed, please call and speak to our Billing Department.
- We are also a Medicare and HUSKY (formerly Medicaid) provider.
- Financial assistance may be available for community members who are unable to afford what their insurance company deems to be their portion. If you have questions about applications for financial aid and/or the required supporting documentation, please contact our Billing Department.
- We also have a sliding fee scale for clients with no insurance, with fees ranging from $30 to $120 per session based on the household income and size of the family. Proof of income is required.
- Caroline’s Gift is a fund developed in the late 1990s by a Newtown family in memory of their daughter Caroline. This fund, administered by NYFS, offers financial support to Newtown families who are dealing with a child’s illness, and in some situations can assist with payment for counseling services. Requests are processed by NYFS and forwarded to the family who makes the final determination regarding a financial award. Recipients may remain anonymous.